Applying for Candidacy
Deadlines: October 1 and March 1
All Teacher Education students are required to apply for candidacy. At the latest, you must apply for candidacy the semester immediately prior to taking SPED 410.
At the earliest, undergraduates may apply for candidacy only when the following requirements are met:
- Student has taken (or is currently enrolled in) ED 200 and ED 210.
- Student has taken 12 hours in the Spanish major, or is currently enrolled in 12th hour of major coursework.
- Major GPA is 3.0/4.0 and overall GPA is 2.5/4.0.
The application is found on the CTE webpage.
Tips for the interview:
This is a serious evaluation of your potential to teach high school students. Do your best to convey maturity and professionalism.
- Be very familiar with UIC’s Conceptual Framework because you will be asked to speak convincingly about your reasons for wanting to become a teacher and how they fit with the conceptual framework.
- Think about the courses you have taken in your major and the concepts that you would most like to teach your future students.
Good answer #1:
I would like to teach about the political structure of the Aztec empire using a video and internet research.
Good answer #2:
I really like short stories. I’d like to have students read Borges’ “El jardín de senderos que se bifurcan” and break into groups to produce a drawing of the garden in the story.
Good answer #3:
I’d like to teach about major dialect differences between Western Africa, France, and Quebec by bringing in songs from all three regions.
Not very good answer #1:
I’d like to teach about history.
Not very good answer #2:
I’d like to teach about culture (or grammar, or literature).
- Do not use slang words or casual conversation fillers such as “like,” “you know” and “stuff” during your interview.
- Dress “semi-professionally;” suits/dresses are not required, but overly casual attire is not appropriate.
- Arrive on time for your appointment