Welcome / Benvenuti!
The Italian program at UIC is designed to educate global citizens equipped to thrive in a twenty-first-century democracy by developing learners’ proficiency in global communication skills, critical thinking and problem solving, and engagement with the ideological and concrete realities of their own world. Our curriculum aims to meet the needs of students with diverse learning styles, connect with other disciplines, build a community of learners, foster tolerance and respect for cultural diversity, and enable learners to respond creatively to new and changing perspectives.
Through coursework, study abroad experience, mentoring, and other social and cultural encounters, we advance learners’ information, media and technology literacy, life-long learning, and leadership, enhancing their opportunities for careers and advanced study at the local, national, and international levels.
The Italian program at UIC is working closely with the Italian Cultural Institute and the Education Office of the Italian Consulate in Chicago to promote the knowledge of the Italian language and culture. The Italian program has also established strong ties with the non-academic community, as demonstrated by its successful outreach and fundraising efforts. Over the years, the program has attracted numerous donations and financial contributions from private individuals as well as governmental institutions – a testimony to its local, national, and international visibility, effectiveness, and perceived strategic importance.
Highlights of the Italian program:
- Experienced, award-winning faculty.
- Most current techniques in language teaching, with a communicative, interactive approach and an innovative use of technology.
- We care for our students and help them build their future and explore their options: University of Illinois Alumni Association Leadership Award; Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards; Best Essays Monetary Awards; Siena and Dante Alighieri Scholarships; Internships at the Italian Cultural Institute, Italian Trade Commission, Italian American Chamber of Commerce, Whitney Young High School to mention but a few.
- A wonderful Italian Club where you can make friends and practice leadership skills/enhance your curriculum by giving public presentations and organizing events.
- Free tutoring and conversation hours, lots and lots of cultural activities for all tastes: from cooking classes to yoga and karaoke, invited lecturers, field trips, film clubs and much more.
- Study Abroad in Siena, with our faculty-lead program, or in other beautiful Italian cities.
- Italian at UIC is a COMMUNITY!!!