Chiara Fabbian, PhD
Clinical Associate Professor, Director of the Italian Program, and Director of Undergraduate Studies (Italian)
Hispanic and Italian Studies
Eighteenth to twentieth-century Italian literature; literature and anthropology; migration writing; women’s writing; curriculum development.
Fellowships, Honors and Awards
- Certificate of Excellence from the Office of the Cook County Treasurer for commitment and dedication to the Italian American community, 2018
- 2018 Dante Alighieri Award from the Illinois chapter of the American Association Teachers of Italian (AATI)
- Special contribution (15,000 euros) from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to support the teaching of Italian language and culture at UIC, 2017
- Special contribution (2,000 euros) from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Foreign Language professional development, 2017
- Elected AATI Regional Representative for the Midwest, 2016-2019
- Teaching Recognition Award from the Council for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, 2016
- Special contribution (5,000 euros in students' scholarships) from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the promotion of the Italian language, 2015-16
- 2014 AAUSC (American Association University Supervisors and Coordinators) travel grant
- Elected AATI Regional Representative for the Midwest, 2014-2016
- Secretary, Italidea-Midwest, 2010-2016
- President, Women Studies Caucus (AAIS), 2013-2015
- Secretary, Womens Studies Caucus (AAIS), 2011-2013
- UIC Foreign and Classical Languages Award for Curricular Development, 2012
- Teaching Recognition Award from the Council for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, 2012
- Special contribution (Italian Lecturer) from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the promotion of the Italian language, 2011-12
- UIC Foreign and Classical Languages Award for Curricular Development, 2011
- UIC Inspire Award, 2011
- Advisor of the Year Award (nominated), 2011
- UIC Foreign and Classical Languages Award for Curricular Development, 2010
- UIC Foreign and Classical Languages Award for Curricular Development, 2009
- Mellon Foundation Dissertation Fellowship, 2005-06
- Padova University postgraduate scholarship, 1992
- Naso d’autore. L’odorato nella letteratura e cultura italiana. Ravenna: Longo editore, 2012.
Chapters in Books
- “Heavenly Aromas and Tough Stomachs in Benvenuto Flori’s L’evangelica parabola delle vergini prudenti e delle stolte” Scenes from Italian Convent Life. An Anthology of Convent Theatrical Texts and Contexts. Ed. Elissa Weaver. Ravenna: Longo editore, 2009. 53-90.
- “Critical Pedagogy, Social Justice, and Pro-social Identities in the Italian Classroom. Part I.” Co-authored with E. Zanotti Carney. Accepted for publication on Italica.
- “Critical Pedagogy, Social Justice, and Pro-social Identities in the Italian Classroom. Part II.” Co-authored with E. Zanotti Carney. Accepted for publication on Italica.
- “Lessons Learned: Design and Implementation of Italian Blended Language
Courses.” Co-authored with E. Zanotti Carney and Maja Grgurovic.
Italica 94.2 (2017) 314-353.
- “Instructional Planning for the Italian Writing Curriculum. The University
of Illinois at Chicago’s Experience.” Co-authored with E. Zanotti Carney.
Italica 93.3 (2016) 581-615.
- “Embracing the Body: A Woman’s Journey in Il paese del vento by Grazia Deledda.” Lingua Romana. Vol 11, issue 2, Fall 2013. Editors: J. Haraguchi and I. Klein. Special issue: Women and Territories in Italian Literature and Culture. http://linguaromana.byu.edu/files/2016/06/Embracing.pdf
- “A ciascuno il suo. L’abito, il corpo e il profumo in Rubè di Giuseppe Antonio Borgese.” Italica 80.1 (2003) 21-39.
- “Poesia in cucina: Lina e il mondo femminile nella rappresentazione di Umberto Saba.” MLN 117.1 (2002) 174-193.
- “Gozzano, la signorina Felicita e la perplessità crepuscolare.” Canadian-American Journal of Italian Studies, September 2000, 75-90.
- Paolo Cherchi. Ministorie di Microgeneri. A cura di Chiara Fabbian, Alessandro Rebonato, Emanuela Zanotti Carney. Ravenna: Longo, 2003
- Carravetta, Peter. After Identity. Migration, Critique, Italian American Culture. New York: Bordighera Press, 2017. Pp. 294. ISBN 978-1-59954-072-6. Published on Italian Americana, April 2018.
- Melissa Coburn. Race and Narrative in Italian Women’s Writing Since Unification. Madison: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2013. Pp. 127. Papers on Language and Literature. No. 3, 2016.
- Italian Women Writers, 1800-2000. Boundaries, Borders, and Transgression. Edited by Patrizia Sambuco. Madison: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2015. Pp. 197. Journal of Modern Italian Studies Volume 21, Issue 2, Cover month March 2016.
- “Non sto quindi a Napoli sicura di casa”. Identità, spazio e testualità in Fabrizia Ramondino. A cura di Adalgisa Giorgio. Perugia: Morlacchi editore, 2013. Pp. 395. Italian Culture. Forthcoming.
- Women and Gender in Post-Unification Italy. Between Private and Public Spheres. Edited by Katharine Mitchell and Helena Sanson. Bern: Peter Lang, 2013. Pp. 276. Annali d’italianistica, Vol 32, 2014.
- Stato e Chiesa nel Mezzogiorno napoleonico. Atti del quinto seminario di studi “Decennio francese (1806-1815).” Napoli, 29-30 maggio 2008. A cura di Costanza D’Elia. Napoli: Giannini, 2011. JMIS Vol. 18, no. 4, 2013.
- A. Maggi, Uttering the Word.The Mystical Performances of Maria Maddalena de’ Pazzi, a Renaissance Visionary. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1998, in Forum Italicum, Fall 1998.
- Stephen Sartarelli, trans. Umberto Saba. Songbook, Selected Poems. Riverdale-on-Hudson: Sheep Meadow Press,1998, in Forum Italicum, Fall 1999.
- L. Parisi. Borgese.Torino, Tirrenia, 2000, in Annali D’Italianistica 20 (2002) 534-537.
Ph.D., University of Chicago
M.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1999
Laurea, University of Padova, Italy