Jennifer Cabrelli, PhD
Hispanic and Italian Studies
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St.
|Tuesday||02:00pm – 03:15pm||SPAN 202|
|03:30pm – 04:45pm||SPAN 510|
|05:00pm – 06:00pm||Drop-In Hours|
|Thursday||12:45pm – 01:45pm||Drop-In Hours|
|02:00pm – 03:15pm||SPAN 202|
|03:30pm – 04:45pm||SPAN 510|
My primary area of specialization is the acquisition of phonology by second language learners, third language learners, and heritage speaker bilinguals. The core of my research program is an experimental approach to phonological (and, at times, morphosyntactic) acquisition. Specifically, I use quantitative analyses of data from speech production and perception and various behavioral methods to answer questions about how linguistic patterns are organized in the multilingual mind.
National Science Foundation, Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant (BCS #1823909). UIC (2018-2020), PI; co-PI Sara Stefanich
National Science Foundation, Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant (BCS #1132289). University of Florida (2011-2013), co-PI; PI Jason Rothman
Sequeros-Valle, J., Hoot, B., & Cabrelli, J. (2020). L2 Spanish clitic left dislocation: Data from speeded production. Language Acquisition. doi: 10.1080/10489223.2020.1769628
Cabrelli, J., Luque, A., & Finestrat, I. (2019). L1 Brazilian Portuguese phonotactic restructuring as a result of L2 English contact. Journal of Phonetics, 73, 55-69.
Cabrelli, J., & Pichan, C. (2019). Initial phonological transfer in L3 Brazilian Portuguese and Italian. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1075/lab.18048.cab
Cabrelli, J. (2019). Plotting individual trajectories in the acquisition of L2 prosodic constraints. Invited commentary for special Epistemological Topic/Keynote Issue: Prosodic effects on L2 grammars (Authors: Lydia White & Heather Goad). Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 9, 822-826.
Stefanich, S., Cabrelli, J., Hilderman, D., & Archibald, J. (2019). The morphophonology of intraword code-switching: Representation and processing. Frontiers in Communication. doi: 10.3389/fcomm.2019.00054
Cabrelli Amaro, J., Campos-Dintrans, G., & Rothman, J. (2018). The role of L1 phonology in L2 morphological production: L2 English past tense production by L1 Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese speakers. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 40, 503-527.
Cabrelli Amaro, J. (2018). Testing the Phonological Permeability Hypothesis: Differential L3 influence on L1 and L2 phonological systems. International Journal of Bilingualism, 21, 698-717.
Cabrelli Amaro, J. (2017). The impact of Portuguese in the study of third language acquisition (invited contribution to the centenary issue). Hispania, 100(5), 55-62.
Cabrelli Amaro, J. (2017). The role of prosodic structure in L2 Spanish stop lenition. Second Language Research, 33, 233-269.
Cabrelli Amaro, J., & Wrembel, M. Investigating the acquisition of phonology in a third language. International Journal of Multilingualism, 13(4), 395-409.
Service to Community
Member, Executive Board, Bilingualism Matters Chicago
Associate Editor, Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism
Associate Editor, Hispania
Editor, Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics (2014-2019)
2018-2019, Graduate Mentoring Award, UIC Graduate College
2018-2019, Teaching Recognition Program Award, UIC Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
2017-2018, Grant Support Program, UIC Office of Social Science Research
PhD, University of Florida
MA, Middlebury College in Spain
BA, Michigan State University
Research Currently in Progress
- Cabrelli, J. (expected 2022). A guide to conducting research in third language acquisition. New York: Routledge.
- Stefanich, S., & Cabrelli, J. Representation of Spanish and English nasals in heritage Spanish: Shared or separate? Submitted to Languages.
- Sequeros-Valle, J., Hoot, B., & Cabrelli, J. Clitic-doubled left dislocation in heritage Spanish: Judgment versus production data. Submitted to Languages.
- Cabrelli, J., & Iverson, M. (in preparation). L2 transfer is overcome faster than L1 transfer in L3 morphosyntactic development. To be submitted to International Journal of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education (October 2020).
- Stefanich, S., & Cabrelli, J. (in preparation). Creating a novel L2 category from an L1 segment sequence: Redeployment of English /n j/ in the acquisition of L2 Spanish /ɲ/. To be submitted to Frontiers in Psychology (November 2020).
- Cabrelli, J., Pichan, C., Rothman, J., & Serratrice, L. (in preparation). Initial L3 transfer of phonology and morphosyntax by English/heritage Spanish bilinguals learning Italian.
- Cabrelli, J., Finestrat Martínez, I., & Luque, I. (in preparation). L2 English effects on L1 Brazilian Portuguese phonotactics: Evidence from production data.
- Snape, N., Cabrelli, J., & Herrera, C. (in preparation). Stability of L2 English accent in Japanese returnees.