Welcome / Benvenuti!
In a world made small by sophisticated media and easy travel, it is our mission to initiate students into the Italian cultural context and help them broaden their views and acquire global awareness. Not only is Italy the cradle of the Renaissance and the birthplace of Neorealist Cinema, it is also one of the most industrialized nations in the world (G8), a leading country for fashion and design, and a paradise for food lovers. Italian Americans contributed to shaping American literature, film, politics, finance, food, culture, and language. Thousands of American companies do business with Italy and have offices in Italy, and many Italian firms have offices in the U.S. (especially in the Chicago area).
The Italian program at UIC is working closely with the Italian Cultural Institute and the Education Office of the Italian Consulate in Chicago to promote the knowledge of the Italian language and culture. The Italian program has also established strong ties with the non-academic community, as demonstrated by its successful outreach and fundraising efforts. Over the years, the program has attracted numerous donations and financial contributions from private individuals as well as governmental institutions – a testimony to its local, national, and international visibility, effectiveness, and perceived strategic importance.
Highlights of the Italian program:
- Experienced, award-winning faculty.
- Most current techniques in language teaching, with a communicative, interactive approach and an innovative use of technology.
- We care for our students and help them build their future and explore their options: University of Illinois Alumni Association Leadership Award; Chancellor’s Student Service and Leadership Awards; Best Essays Monetary Awards; Siena and Dante Alighieri Scholarships; Internships at the Italian Cultural Institute, Italian Trade Commission, Italian American Chamber of Commerce, Whitney Young High School to mention but a few.
- A wonderful Italian Club where you can make friends and practice leadership skills/enhance your curriculum by giving public presentations and organizing events.
- Free tutoring and conversation hours, lots and lots of cultural activities for all tastes: from cooking classes to yoga and karaoke, invited lecturers, field trips, film clubs and much more.
- Study Abroad in Siena, with our faculty-lead program, or in other beautiful Italian cities.
- Italian at UIC is a COMMUNITY!!!